At exactly 2:00 p.m. on a sunny Sunday afternoon in Camden, 3,000 numbered ducks were finally let loose en masse from the back deck at The Smiling Cow. It was a wild and bumpy ride due to recent heavy rains creating higher-than-normal water levels, and most of the ducks took the short route directly over the top of the falls before making a beeline to the finish below. It was still nip and tuck all the way, with more than a few ducks being cited for wandering off course. Fortunately, West Bay Rotary’s lightning quick duck wranglers were at the ready and made sure none escaped the nets and were hauled in to swim another day.
Here are this year’s lucky duck winners and their prizes:
1. 7 nights Vanderbilt Beach Resort, Naples ($2,200+) plus $1,000 cash for travel! – Martha Johnson
2. Opal Bead Bracelet by Etienne – Cassandra Dean
3. 4-Wheel Alignment at Shepard Motors – Laura Evans
4. 2 Nights Lodging at The Whitehall Inn – Gayle Curtis
5. 6-Month Midcoast Rec Center Gift Certificate – Tanya Villegas
6. $100 Bleecker & Greer Gift Certificate – Peter Burke
7. $50 Rankins Hardware Gift Certificate – Lisa Sojka
8. 4-Wheel Alignment at Rockport Automotive — George Forristall
9. $100 Waterfront Restaurant Gift Certificate – Katherine Batson
10. $25 Zoots Coffee Gift Certificate – Linda Leonard
As always, net proceeds from the annual Duck Derby support local and international charities.
A special thanks to this year’s sponsors, including Allen Insurance and Financial, Camden National Bank, Edward Jones-Ken Gardner, Vanderbilt Beach Resort, North Atlantic Painting, Albertson Builders, and Sandy Cox-New England Real Estate.